Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Pomona Beautification Day is May 10, 2008


So by now, you may have read that this Saturday, May 10, 2008 from 8 a.m. to noon is Pomona Beautification Day.

I'm not sure what I can say to make you come out on the streets this Saturday, other than that this is a chance to do more than just talk. A group of us will be at Alvarado and Garey if you would like to come out. Well okay, at this point just the entire Big family will be out there. We're not early birds, but I'll try to be out there myself nearest 8 a.m. as I can do. The idea is to cover Garey Avenue from the 10 freeway to Holt. For anyone interested, please email me to give me some idea how many there will be. If anyone can donate anything besides time, like something that will look good in the ground or on a wall, that is great too. Dawn's Garden Shop is near that corner for those with extra money in their pocket.

Frank Garcia from the Chamber of Commerce, is organizing this entire event. He will supply wrist bands and will keep in touch with us by telephone. The wrist bands will get you into the Fair grounds afterwards for a big lunch and party. Frank can get us some Cal Poly students for Garey and Alvarado if need be, and materials. Anduhrew: Do you have anything planned for the south side? Do you know if the Regens and/or the landscape architecture students are already volunteering? Garrett: Likewise, are you going to do anything there on the south end of town?

Keep in mind that you can work anywhere in the City. Ren: Do you have anything planned for the downtown Second Street area? Pride: Will you be cleaning up in Garfield Park? For those who do want to work at an alternative site, call Frank Garcia beforehand to arrange to keep in touch with him that day by cell phone and to get wrist bands. You can email him at info@pomonachamber.org or call 622-1256.

If I can't convince you, perhaps our staff photographer Ren can (and yes, this marks Goddess of Pomona's rather raw debut on youtube):


THE END

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you really want to beautify Pomona ask Jessica Alba to move back.
If would be fun to turn the aisle at Stater Bro's & run into her!

Garrett Sawyer said...

I'd like to have something planned, but I don't. I do know that I'd be happy to help out on Garey though. I can't really donate much but my time. What are the plans for that section of Garey? Picking up trash, planting, painting or what? I can bring bypass pruners and gloves! lol. That's about all I can bring with me on the bus without getting starred at. lol.

Anonymous said...

We're going to join the Garey crew, too. Whereabouts on Garey are folks going to meet? Near Holt or near the 10?

Garrett Sawyer said...

Um, she wrote Garey and Alvarado...lol. I'm more concerned with what we would be doing and what time. I'm not a morning person either so I don't know if I'll even come...

Anonymous said...

I hope mothers woke up their little gangbanging sons early on this Saturday morning to go out there and clean up the grafitti all over the city.

Garrett Sawyer said...

That's sexist of you...What, you don't think there are any gangbanging daughters? lol. I'm sure they're all out wiping the smirks off of smug people like you. lol. Grafitti isn't as apparent here as it used to be, you have to look really hard these days to find it. It used to be all around my neighborhood and now there isn't any and it's been that way for a while (years). If there is ever a seldom case of grafitti, the abatement crews get called out within the same week or even the next day of the offense. Tell us where you've seen grafitti in Pomona RECENTLY to prove me wrong...Artwork that resembles grafitti does not count. lol. Sure there are lots of little unobvious tags on things like benches and sign posts and stuff but nothing huge that I know of like before...There might be some in the really bad areas in the eastern portion...still, it's a gigantic improvement. lol. Why is there always a heckler? Off with their heads!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Thanks, Garrett. Silly me for not reading the post more completely (that's what I get for skimming quickly en route to bed).

Anonymous said...

Big props to Pomona's graffiti abatement crew. We call them regularly to help out with tags on park benches and buildings. Without fail, they respond in a very short period of time (usually 24 hrs or less). The shopping cart collection crew is equally responsive. Here are the numbers, in case anyone doesn't already have them:

Graffiti abatement:
909-620-2265

Shopping cart collection:
800-497-1984

Anonymous said...

Garrett...they have quite an "art" gallery on the garage doors, fences, anything that doesn't move in the alley behind the 300 block of East Kingsley. You have to be quick to see it though as the graffiti clean-up crew is very quick to cover up the little hoodlums' masterpieces. If it's a blank canvas, just come back in a day or two.

Of course I am not sexist. The little gangbanging daughters are home taking care of their little gangbanging babies...

Garrett Sawyer said...

LOL @ Gangbanging babies...

Oh I have no doubt that it DOES occur, I'm more interested in graffiti thats very apparent and obvious that isn't cleaned-up in a short time frame. I'm sure the alleyways where garage doors are accessible are a favorite... We don't have alleyways in my neighborhood so we're kind of lucky, we do however have a few masonry walls that get minor action. It used to be they cleaned it all up and it'd be back the next day but the kids are getting smart not to do it in an obvious area because it's a waste of time being that it gets cleaned up so quick. There used to be a huge graffiti problem back when there was an empty field behind this liquor store (perfect spot for graffiti) and another large field a couple blocks away in my neighborhood but ever since they built two story homes on all the lots the graffiti problem has practically vanished. The city and construction crew makes more marks with spray paint than taggers do in my neighborhood now, isn't that a turn around? lol.

Some of the graffiti on things is really old, we have a couple tags on our waste barrels, one is a tag and the others were done by the city with something permanent because they were too lazy to come to the door and leave a door hanger that explained what we did wrong.