Sunday, December 02, 2007

Have you hugged your recycling bin today?


Mini mini wheelie bins!
Originally uploaded by majeztic
So last night after decorating the Xmas tree, Big and I went in front of the house to see the tree lights from outside. I noticed a loud rolling noise, and saw a guy rolling a big, blue, City of Pomona recycling can down the street towards our house. As he approached, I asked him what in the world he was doing. I know these things are best handled by mental health professionals, but I was exhausted and really could not contain myself. He went into a long song and dance about how he was trading trash cans with a friend. Needless to say, nothing added up. I, in the nicest, "I'm your buddy" kind-of-way, told him how suspicious that looked and that he was giving the cops a reason to hassle him. Especially with the holidays coming, since people in the neighborhood call on everything, blah blah blah.

After bidding one another Happy Holidays, I went inside and decided I did not have the heart to call the cops to report someone stealing a recycling bin. The guy even opened up the can to show me that he had nothing bad inside, not that I asked! Although come to think of it I didn't actually look inside and there did appear to be SOMETHING in there. OH well, the guy seemed pretty harmless and I don't think he'll be moving any more recycling bins through the neighborhood any time soon.

Here's my favorite Pomona recycling bin tale: One time my friend who lives the other side of Garey came outside to find two women in the act of going through her recycling bin. She said the one gal shrugged her shoulders, smiled the sweetest smile one can muster when you have no teeth, and said, "It's my first day." The recycler put her arm around her fellow recycler and proudly explained, "She's teaching me the ropes."

Just another on-the-job training program in Pomona.

No comments: