Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Pomona Beauty in Jeopardy

The tree in this picture is, in my opinion, one of the three most beautiful trees in all of Pomona. It is located in Lincoln Park, on Garfield, a door west of Palomares. The house itself is said to be abandoned, and it certainly looks that way. Legend has it that the owner is keeping the house as in inheritance for his children, even though they don't want to move into it. I have no idea if this is true. I'm also told that years ago there was a fire in the garage, started by combustibles being stored inside. The house itself looks like a gem in disguise, and I'd love to get a look inside. By far, the most striking thing about the house, is this amazing tree.

I was shocked to see a notice posted on the door this weekend of an upcoming hearing on the historical appropriateness of removing the camphor tree in the front yard. Since this beautiful tree is the one and only tree in the front yard, this must be a camphor tree (I'm no tree expert myself), and this must be the tree facing the chopping block.

I don't have a lot of time these days, but there is a hearing on April 4, 2007 at City Hall to save or destroy this tree. I plan to be there to support saving this magnificent old tree, and hope anyone reading this will come too.

I'd be open to other nominations, but imo, the two other most beautiful trees in all of Pomona are: a gingko biloba located at Lincoln and Gibbs, and a huge dramatically shaped tree at Towne and Mission.

No comments: