Saturday, June 17, 2006

On Top of Ponoma



My son doesn't call it Pomona, he says Ponoma. I quizzed his best friend Madison yesterday and she says Ponoma too. I'm thinking this must be a pretty common mispronunciation on the part of Pomona toddlers, since both Madison and Mr. Big say the classic "pssghetti" too. If he got lost and told someone he was from Ponoma, would they realize he was saying Pomona or would he be shipped up north to wine-country Sonoma?

Mr. Big often refers to Claremont as "a Place called Claremont," which cracks me up. It reminds me of those pretentious names developers give new housing tracts, or better yet trailer home parks, like "The Hills at Crest Ridge" or The Place at Claremont." Mr. Big doesn't spell yet, but I bet if he did, he would put an e at the end of Claremont too, in the spirit of "shoppe" as opposed to just "shop." When I asked him why he likes Claremont so much, he said, "Because I like to give it big slobbery kisses." Ahh, the next generation of Pomona-challenged.

I think my favorite part of doing this blog is finding the photos to accompany the posts. Come July I should have a working digital camera, but for now I rely on public domain photos to make the site look pretty. I've been waiting for the right post to use this photo of Pomona's very own Donahoo's. I suppose this post is as good as any, seeing as I couldn't find any photos of Pomona trailer home parks with unfittingly swanky names.

Here's a list of Pomona's 12 trailer home parks, which I lifted from Web BePomona.com:

1. Valley Center (boring)
1111 Price Ave

2. Foothill Village Mobile Home Park (pretty basic)
301 E Foothill Blvd

3. Foothill Mobile Park (an alternative for folks who either don't want to live in, or have been kicked out of, the homey village above), 402 Foothill

4. Crest Mobile Manor (there's the swank factor)
3727 Equation Rd

5. Pomona Islander Mobile Home Park (tropical living at it's finest)
3667 Valley Blvd

6. Westland Estates Mobile Home Park (bigtime swank)
1401 W 9th St

7. Thunderbird Mobile Home Park (I like it)
1761 E Mission Blvd

8. Hi Fi Mobile Home Plaza (I'm thinking this one must be noisy)
1010 W Holt Ave

9. Western Mobile Gardens (tres boring)
1737 W Holt Ave

10. Park Vista Estates of Pomona (wow)
1601 S Garey Ave

11. Las Brisas Estate (sounds downright glamorous, and on Holt no less)
1054 W Holt Ave

12. Big's Mobile Home Park Inc (my personal favorite, plus it's incorporated)
1461 W Mission Blvd

No comments: